Making the most out of “standing in” on bullpens
Sometimes our practice time and capacity is limited. If you don’t have the option to actually hit off of a live pitcher, the next best option is to stand in when they throw a practice pitching session or even during their pre-game warm up in the bullpen.
To make the most out of these sessions…
- Try to visualize yourself in a game situation and make it as realistic as possible.
- Go through your rhythm and time the ball.
- Imagine hitting it with “weight transfer takes.”
- Make a decision on if you would swing or not by saying “yes” or “no” before the ball gets to the plate.
- Challenge yourself and try to say yes or no earlier and earlier.